The Better Together Update is here!
Play the new Minecraft on Xbox, mobile, VR and Windows 10 today!
The big day is finally here!
It’s probably the most significant update we’ve made in Minecraft’s recent history - we’re releasing a new version of the game that lets players on Xbox, mobile, VR and Windows 10 play together!
And not only that! It lets you access oodles of player-made goodness on Marketplace! It lets you take that Marketplace goodness from one device to another! It lets you play your Realm on console (for example), hop off, then pick up where you left off on your phone! It lets you join massive servers, with communities numbering in millions of players and eccentric minigames to suit every taste!
And that’s just the stuff we’re doing on top of the core game itself. This new version of Minecraft also introduces the supported platforms to parrots, banners, armour stands, stained glass, fireworks, new world start options, new game rules, host options, the recipe book and loads, loads more. All that, and it lets you marvel at the True Beauty™ of coarse dirt for the first time! Wow! Coarse dirt! Just, wow.
The work doesn’t stop there. We’ve got loads more cool stuff to show you with this new version of Minecraft - for example, did you know you can share invite links to Realms now?! You can! (Except on Xbox One - we’ll be getting that working in the very near future.) So stay tuned: we’ll be talking about more of the new Minecraft’s magical features soon!
You can get this fancypants new version of Minecraft for free if you already own an edition of Minecraft for Xbox One, and you’ll get the Better Together Update automagically on Android, iOS and Windows 10. If you own the Xbox One Edition of the game on disc, be prepared for a short wait before your free download of the new Minecraft is available - we'll work as fast as we can, but it may take a day or two to process all the requests!
We’re still working on getting this new version of Minecraft ready for players on Nintendo Switch. We want to make sure that everything is ready to bring this platform onboard, and there’s a lot of work to do to make that happen. After all, no one has ever done anything like this before in the history of gaming. We expect to be ready with the free Better Together Update on Switch this winter.
Got questions about how this update works, how to get it, what it means for you or what happens to your old stuff? Check out our newly updated FAQ!
Got bugs? Submit them here: bugs.mojang.com!
Got feature requests, comments or feedback? Speak your brains here: feedback.minecraft.net
In the meantime, read all about how YOU helped us make this update by participating in the beta, or peruse the changelog in coarse-dirt-induced wonderment:
- Stained Glass
- Fireworks (with Elytra boost!)
- Armor Stands
- Jukebox and music discs
- Recipe Book
- Book & Quill
- Coarse Dirt
- New world start options: Starting Map; Bonus Chest; Trust Players
- New game rules: Show Coordinates; TNT Explodes; Natural Regeneration
- Added '/tickingarea' command to create areas that still update when no players are there
- Player permissions
- Zombie Villager spawn egg
- In-game host options
- Paper doll viewer
- Outline selection toggle
- In-game player names toggle
- HUD opacity toggle
- Expanded Xbox Live multiplayer world settings
- New loading screens with funny and helpful tips
- How to Play screen
- Remix 3D export functionality (Windows 10 only)
- New achievements
- Server Partners
- Realms invite links
- Mash-up Packs and Texture Packs will now decorate the main menu and in-game HUD
- Rebalanced most of the game sound effects and music, such as rain being much quieter
- It is now much easier to see underwater after drinking a Potion of Water Breathing and Potion of Night Vision
- Blaze Powder is now needed to fuel brewing stands
- Ice blocks are now transparent
- Maps can now be held off-hand and show the heads of players' skins
- Locator maps now track the owner's position, regardless of dimension
- Worlds can now be set to Invite Only, Friends Only, or Friends of Friends
- Various improvements and changes to navigating the user interface
- Redesigned button mapping and added Pick Block for controllers
- Render Clouds and Fancy Leaves can now be toggled in Video Settings
- Skins can now be changed from the pause menu
- Chat messages can now be muted
- Items picked up are now animated on the hotbar
- Stained glass and banners will now spawn on End Cities
- Increased the default player limit on worlds from 5 to 8 on higher-end devices
- Block placement speed now matches the player's movement speed
- Temperature decreases with height and it can now snow at high elevations
- Observer blocks have updated textures and will now blink red when outputting a redstone pulse
- Adjusted the color that flashes when mobs are attacked
- Brick Blocks, Nether Brick Blocks, and Clay Blocks have been renamed to better differentiate from other items
- Underwater particles
- Jungle leaves are now transparent on higher-end devices when Fancy Leaves are enabled
- Changed the sound effects for Creeper explosions
- Added sound effects for placing Eyes of Ender into portal frames and opening The End portal
Too many to mention. My favourites are: making cats purr again, preventing bats from swimming underwater and stopping llamas from creepily turning their heads to stare at you while riding them.
We can’t wait to see what you all build together!
Bloco bloco bloco...